Living with Your Child’s OCD: A Group for Parents
Please RSVP by email. Space is limited.
Parental support accounts for roughly fifty percent of the success of the treatment of children and teens with OCD. But our own anxiety and confusion often get in the way of helping our kids. Working with OCD is often counter-intuitive and can be emotionally challenging, frustrating and exhausting. This group will allow you to meet with other parents with the guidance of an experienced OCD therapist who is also the parent of a child with OCD.
Topics of discussion will include:
- Understanding OCD: the types, the course and the strategies
- Common parenting traps and how to stop falling into them
- The particular stressors and emotional strain of living with OCD: taking care of yourself and dealing with your own anxiety
- Parenting skills specific to OCD treatment
- Increasing competency behaviors in your child and reducing avoidance and symptomatic behaviors
- Setting realistic goals and effective limits, Family contracting
- Managing meltdowns, escalations and OCD moments: constructive approaches to anger and frustration
- How to deal with siblings
- We will also discuss issues as they arise within the group.
First and Third Tuesday
Cost is $75 per group
This will be an ongoing group
Initial consultation required to be sure our group is right for you